Monday, September 21, 2009

OMG! No Way! Are you sure?!?!

09-21-2009

After dropping Mallory off at Ms. Sharon’s, Mommy and Daddy went to the doctor for our first sonogram.  I was so ready to see that flashing heartbeat, so I would know all is good.  I was nervous on the way there and sitting in the waiting room.

We finally were called back to the sono room, and we were ready!  The sonogram lady got started, but she did not say much.  I was ready for her to say, “There’s the baby, see the heartbeat.”  But, she was very quiet, and she was making me more nervous with her lack of talking.  My heart was beating out of my chest, and I just knew she was going to tell us I had a miscarriage.

Finally she spoke, “I wasn’t going to say this until I was for sure, there’s TWO.”  My heart went from beating way too fast to almost stopping.  I couldn’t even look at Wesley; I was just looking at the screen.  Plain as day, you could see two little blobs with flashing heartbeats.  Then, she said, “Yep, you are having TWINS.”  I said a cuss word; then, I quickly apologized.  She said, “Oh, that’s okay, I have heard worse.”  I finally turned to look at Wesley; he was leaning back in his chair with his hand on his chest.  We were FREAKED OUT!!!  She told us, “BABY A’s heartrate is 144 and BABY B’s heartrate is 155 . She gave us some pictures, and told us to move to another room to see the doctor.  She left, and Wesley and I just looked at each other.  We didn’t know what to think or say or do.  She finally had to come back in the room to get us, because we weren’t moving.

We went into the other room and had to wait a few minutes for the doctor.  I started crying, so overwhelmed with all the thoughts running through my head.  Wesley said, “Look on the bright side, at least she didn’t say there’s three.”

The doctor walked in and said, “Well, this changes everything!”  He talked about all the differences of a twin pregnancy, and we just sat quietly in shock.  Finally, we left the doctor’s office in a daze.

After being very unfocused at work the rest of the day, I went to pick up Mallory.  I started crying as soon as I saw Sharon, showed her my sonogram picture and said, “Will you even keep twins?”  She said, “Of course I will,” and gave me a much needed hug.

When we got home, we sat Mallory on our bed to tell her…

Mommy: “Mommy and Daddy went to the doctor today.  And, the doctor told us mommy has TWO babies in her tummy.”

Mallory: Looking surprised, “That sure will be a lot of diapers!”

Mommy: “That’s right”  I am fighting back tears.

Mallory: “How about this, I change one and y’all change one.”

We just gave her the biggest hug!!

Later, I told her…

Mommy: “The babies are going to think that you are the BEST big sister.  They are going to think you are so cool and want to play with you.

Mallory: “Well, what if I don’t want to play with them?  Can I go to my room and close the door?”

Mommy: As I am laughing, “Yes, I am sure there will be times you need to do that!” And I thought to myself, I will probably need to go with you!

It is going to be a big adjustment for all of us!!

No comments: